Monday 10 January 2011

Rowan No.49




The new Rowan magazine arrived on Saturday. I've been disappointed in recent years as I felt too many old designs were being rehashed in the latest yarn. I didn't even bother buying the last summer issue which is unusual for me. This edition isn't very exciting either. Of course the photography is good and the shoots are beautifully stylized but there are only a couple of knits that really interest me.

The first is Fancy by Erika Knight in Kidsilk Haze. The shape is simple but the stitch pattern is beautiful and true to the idea of a summer knit. I often wonder if Rowan work on the principle that if they include one truly spectacular design the magazine will sell no matter what else is featured. This design has definitely made it on to my mile long to do list.

The second design is Daydream by Marie Wallin in Purelife Organic Cotton 4ply. This is a stunning victorian feel design but will I seriously knit a high necked cotton jumper? I love the lace stitches so I think that this could be one of those designs that I knit even though I know in my heart that it won't suit me and will just end up cluttering my wardrobe. Dangerous!

There are other designs that I reserve judgement on until I see them in the flesh. Some of Rowans best deigns have been totally uninspiring in the magazine but wonderful knitted up.I'm wondering if I could add sleeves to Allure or if the whole garment would just sag and look shapeless. I like the cut out cable of Cicely and perhaps would use that to knit something else. Pimpernel looks wonderful on the model but I know it is not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment