Monday 14 February 2011

Knitty 34 Winter 2011

I've just caught the latest Knitty edition. My favourite is Cartouche, a shawl by Janelle Martin. It is so different to the many shawl patterns around at the moment. I love the intricate geometric shapes and the way the cable outline really pops out. Her instructions are very detailed and include useful photographs of techniques. This might just be my Japan project this year which is very apt as Janelle lists Japanese stitch patterns as her current obsession.

The name of the designer also made me smile; the only Janelle I've ever met was a friend of my housemate in Spain. She was a larger than life New Yorker whose enthusiasm for life was contagious. We'd all bounce around in the wake of her energy and good humoured irreverence.I remember her delight when in Gibraltar she discovered Sobranie cocktail cigarettes; bright pastel shades with a gold filter which she declared "fucking orgasmic!"

At some point I will knit Fleece by Kieran Foley. Of course, I just happen to have enough Zauerball in my stash.Palisander is worth a look as I like scarves which are patterned on both sides but is not on my immediate list. Whereas, I have already printed out Joanie but will have to do something about the floppy neck. The Sweetheart socks will be good for using odd hanks of light worsted which, hopefully,will mean they are a quick knit. The Chrysanthemums are gorgeous but will I really commit the necessary time to mitts I will leave on the bus? Shetlander, for me, life is just too short!

No comments:

Post a Comment